Desperate Flyers steal 5-4 shootout win against Canucks


Finalllllllllllllllllly a desperate win with a complete team effort from the Flyers against the Vancouver Canucks. In the history of the NHL no team has ever won ten games in a row, and missed the playoffs in the same season. After winning ten in a row the Flyers have gone 2-5-3 in their last 10 games. Heading into the tilt against the Canucks, GM Ron Hextall said that he is not going to make a trade to send a message to the players.

Hextall was quoted as saying, “I’m only going to make a trade to make us better. We are staying on course. I do not care if we win every game for the rest of the season or lose every game.”

Defensive zone coverage has been a problem for the Flyers recently, as evidenced in the 4-1 loss on Tuesday to the Sabres. Steve Mason has also lost seven straight games allowing 20 goals in those games. Fortunately, the Canucks came into Philadelphia struggling away from home with the worst home record in the NHL going 5-13-2. The Flyers took full advantage with a desperate performance winning 5-4 in a shootout.

The Flyers got off to a mediocre start in the first period with two shots in the first five minutes, but they had three turnovers within that time span that lead to quality chances for the Canucks. Fortunately, Mason bailed them out with making timely saves.

One good rush from the Flyers was Sean Couturier making a nice move in the Canucks zone, and his ensuing shot rang off the left post keeping the score 0-0.

At 14:29 Brandon Manning was called for a high sticking double minor penalty, as Troy Stetcher appeared to be bleeding from his nose. The Flyers made three nice blocks from ensuing shots, as they did well getting into the shooting lanes.

At 11:19 in the period and 50 seconds remaining on the second penalty to Manning, Michael Del Zotto high sticked Daniel Sedin under his face shield. Sedin was bleeding under his left eye so it made it a double minor penalty, and a 2 man advantage for the Canucks.

With 10:39 remaining in the period, and 10 seconds remaining on Mannings double minor penalty, Daniel Sedin scored his 11th goal of the year. He took a wrist shot from the top of the circle, and the puck found twine behind Mason making it 1-0 in favor of the Canucks.

The Flyers caught a break with 6:59 remaining in the first period, when Nikita Tryamkin took a slashing penalty on Claude Giroux. Ryan Miller made a nice left pad save on Giroux’s ensuing shot keeping the score 1-0 Canucks.

With 40 seconds remaining on the power play from the penalty to Tryamkin, Dale Weise batted a puck out of the air and hit it over to Travis Konecny. Travis Konecny settled the puck down, and blasted it past Miller for his 7th goal of the year tying the score up at 1.

With 1:27 remaining in the period, Brandon Manning took his second penalty of the night. He was called for a slashing penalty, and fortunately for him the Flyers did not allow a shot through the first 1:18 of the Canucks power play.

However, with 9 seconds remaining in the first period, Michael Del Zotto took his second penalty of the night. He was called for a high sticking penalty giving the Canucks another 2 man advantage.

This power play time would extend into the second period, as the first period came to an end. The period ended 1-1 with the Canucks out shooting the Flyers 13-8, and the Canucks maintained the edge in the face off margin 59%-41%.

Just 1:51 into the second period, Markus Granlund scored his 10th goal of the year as the power play ended. Mason gave up a juicy rebound for an easy tap in goal for Granlund. It gave the Canucks a 2-1 lead.

At 12:44 Louis Eriksson was called for an interference penalty on Michael Del Zotto. The Flyers could not do much on the power play, registering only one shot.

As soon as the power play ended, Matt Read won a puck battle along the boards. He made a nice feed to Pierre Bellemare. Bellemare one timed the puck past Miller for his 2nd goal of the year, and tying the game up at 2.

Only 18 seconds later, Jake Voracek threaded a nice pass through the crease to Sean Couturier. Couturier made no mistake as he scored his 8th goal of the year, and gave the Flyers a 3-2 lead.

Just 22 seconds later Markus Granlund scored his 2nd goal of the night, as he redirected a shot past Mason tying the game up at 3.

At 7:14 in the 2nd period, the Canucks entered the Flyers zone. Jayson Megna made a nice feed to Brandon Sutter for his 12th goal of the year, and a 4-3 Canucks lead.

The Flyers caught a break at the end of the second period. Michael Chaput took a slashing penalty with only four seconds remaining in the period on Claude Giroux. This penalty time would be extended into the third period. The 2nd period ended 4-3 in favor of the Canucks, and they were also out shooting the Flyers for the game 21-19. The face off margin was evenly split 50%-50%.

The Flyers made a goalie change to start the 3rd period, as Michael Neuvirth entered the game in relief of Mason. Mason ended the game making 17 saves on 21 shots. This goalie change appeared to pay off. With just 57 seconds into the 3rd period, the Flyers out worked the Canucks along the boards on the power play that was extended from the second period.

On the ensuing power play, Claude Giroux made a nice pass from behind the net to Brayden Schenn. Schenn one timed the puck past Miller for his 14th goal of the year, and tying the game up at 4.

Michael Neuvirth looked strong from the start of the period. At 11:40 he made his 10th save on 10 shots faced. He looked calm and relaxed.

At 11:10 Nikita Tryamkin took his 2nd penalty of the night. The Flyers registered three shots on net during the power play, but Miller had the answers keeping the score 4-4.

With 5:59 remaining in the 3rd period, Sean Couturier took a hooking penalty. This gave the Canucks their 8th power play of the game. The Flyers did well getting in between the shooting lanes, thus limiting the flow of passes on the Canucks power play. The Canucks did not register a shot on net during the power play.

The Flyers out played the Canucks in the third period, and managed to send the game into overtime with it being tied at 4. Neuvirth made 13 saves in relief of Mason, and the Flyers managed to even the shots total up at 34. The Canucks won the face off margin 52%-49%.

The overtime session began with both teams seeing great chances at both ends. Miller made one save, and Neuvirth made four saves throughout the overtime period. The overtime session ended 4-4.

The Flyers managed to pull out a shootout victory 5-4 with Claude Giroux scoring the only tally in the shootout. Neuvirth stood tall, and made three nice saves in the shootout session in securing the Flyers a much needed desperate win. The Flyers next tilt is against the Boston Bruins on Saturday at 1 pm. Follow me on Twitter @JameyBaskow for all Flyers updates.


Mandatory Credit: Eric Hartline-USA TODAY Sports