Extra, Extra: Mason plays hero in shootout, as the Flyers beat the Senators 3-2


The Philadelphia Flyers are trying to use their energy of Sunday night’s 6-2 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins to their advantage. They are trying to build off that monumental playoff saving win, to upset the Ottawa Senators on Tuesday night.

It has been a rollercoaster year for the Flyers. They have gone 16-22-5 since their ten game win streak in December. Only the Colorado Avalanche have a worse record in that time span. The Flyers have four teams to climb over to get into the playoffs.

Jakub Voracek knows its a tough task to make the playoffs, but possible as he spoke to Philly.com, “Obviously, we know where we are in the standings. It’s not going to be easy to make the playoffs; we all know that. [It depends] on the results of the other teams. We just try to play a little relaxed, a little loose.”

Steve Mason got the nod in net, as he looked to build off Sunday night’s magical performance against the Penguins. Mason was absolutely stellar making 26 saves, as he guided the Flyers to a 3-2 shootout victory over the Senators. The win pulls the Flyers to within six points of the last playoff spot, and it appears this team never quits.

The Flyers came out of the gate feeling motivated. This led to the the first penalty of the night. Erik Karlsson took a hooking penalty at 10:57 in the opening period. The struggling Flyers power play could not find the back of the net again. They managed three shots on net, but Craig Anderson made the saves keeping the game scoreless.

With the Flyers dominating the Senators through the majority of the opening period, Sean Couturier took the Flyers first penalty of the night late in the first period. Erik Karlsson made the Flyers pay with a blast from the point. Mason could not track the puck, and it found its way past him for a 1-0 Senators lead.

Late in the opening period, the Flyers were clicking on all cylinders. Chris Wideman took a hi-sticking penalty on Jakub Voracek. On the ensuing power play, the Flyers finally struck gold. Shayne Gostisbehere took a slap shot from the point. Brayden Schenn was able to redirect the puck past Anderson for his 23rd goal of the year. This tied the game at 1.

With just 58 seconds remaining in the first period, Radko Gudas and Mark Borowiecki got into a tussle. Neither player won the fight, as both players hit the ice at the same time to end the bout.

The first period came to a close with the both teams playing well at different times throughout the period. The Flyers were able to end their dreadful power play woes, with a power play goal late in the opening period. They outshot the Senators 13-10, and won the faceoff margin 60%-40%.

With the Flyers playoff hopes on life support going into the second period, the feel good Flyers perseverance never seemed to fade. Towards the end of the second period, the Flyers were looking to finally take the lead. They had a great opportunity after Chris Kelly took a hooking penalty with just 57 seconds remaining. The Flyers could not muster anything in that time span, but the remaining 1:03 of power play time would carry over into the third period.

Somehow the Flyers found themselves tied 1-1 at the end of the second period. The Senators outshot the Flyers 8-7 for the period, and they won the faceoff margin 53%-47%.

The Flyers entered the third period determined to take command of the game. However, just seven seconds into the period, Jakub Voracek took a hooking penalty. This penalty cancelled out the carry over power play time from the second period.

Late in the third period, the Flyers found themselves dominating and man handling the Senators. However, with 7:25 left in the period, Kyle Turris took a rare Senators slap shot. Mason had trouble seeing the puck, as there was a lot of traffic in front. The puck unfortunately made its way past Mason for a 2-1 Senators lead.

Things went from good to unknown for the Flyers after allowing the go ahead goal. Like they have all season the Flyers never gave up, and it paid off with 5:25 left in the third period. Wayne Simmonds lost a puck behind the Senators net, but the puck found its way to Jordan Weal who was standing in front of the net. Weal deposited the puck past Anderson for his 6th goal of the year, tying the game at 2.

The Flyers outplayed the Senators in the third period, thus sending the game into overtime with the score tied at 2. The Flyers outshot the Senators 32-25 for the game, and the Senators won the faceoff margin 51%-49%.

What an overtime. It was end to end, with both teams getting quality scoring chances. The overtime ended with the score still tied 2-2. The Flyers outshot the Senators 35-28 for the game.

Wooooooooooooo the Flyers win with the “Stone Cold” Steve Mason making all 3 saves in the shootout to preserve the victory. Weal scored the lone goal in the shootout for the Flyers 3-2 victory.

Mason was nothing short of phenomenal in the win, and the win keeps the Flyers six points back of the Boston Bruins for the last playoff spot. If the Flyers can sustain a complete effort like tonight, then they will have an opportunity to knock off the red hot New York Islanders on Thursday night at 7 pm.

Follow me on Twitter @JameyBaskow for all Flyers updates.


Mandatory Credit: Eric Hartline-USA TODAY Sports