Flyers fail to find the net once again in 2-0 loss to Blues


The Flyers are coming off one of their strongest defensive efforts of the season against the Los Angeles Kings. Defensively, the Flyers tried to carry the same mindset in a tilt against the smaller St. Louis Blues at home on Monday night.

Michael Neuvirth has been solid in his last three starts going 2-0-1, with allowing only one goal.  He could be on the verge of replacing Steve Mason as the number one goaltender. Neuvirth looks real sharp as of late making spectacular saves at times.

Before the game against the Blues Neuvirth stated, “So many times the more I play the better I play. I felt really good out there Saturday. I am seeing the puck well. It would have been nice if we could have won Saturday, but it did not happen. We have to be ready today because we have another tough team coming.”

The streaking Flyers could not help Neuvirth, and it has left them searching for offense after suffering a 2-0 loss against the Blues. Neuvirth was solid making 14 saves, and has officially claimed the net for the Flyers.

At 13:52 in the first period, Ryan Reaves was called for the first penalty of the game. The Flyers managed to register three shots on net for the power play, but Carter Hutton had the answers keeping the game scoreless.

Defensively the Flyers were great through the first 11 minutes of the game. The Blues did not register their first shot on net until 10:07 in the game.

At 12:09 in the first period, Jaden Schwartz was called for holding. The Flyers had sustained pressure on the power play registering three shots on net. Hutton kept the game scoreless making all three saves.

The first period ended with both teams scoreless. The Flyers heavily out shot the Blues 11-1, but the Blues won the faceoff margin 53%-47.

Radko Gudas and David Perron were both called for minor penalties at 11:17 in the second period. The Blues registered three shots on net, but Neuvirth made all three saves keeping the game scoreless.

Andrew Macdonald was called for high sticking at 8:34 in the second period. The Blues were given a four minute power play, as David Perron was bleeding from his mouth. The Blues were held to just three shots on net for the power play. Neuvirth made all three saves keeping the game scoreless.

The Blues were able to strike first with 4:38 remaining in the second period. Paul Stasny redirected a shot from the point off his skate, and the puck made it past Neuvirth for a 1-0 lead. It was his 15th goal of the year.

The Blues out shot the Flyers 11-3 in the second period, and also won the face off margin 52%-48%.

Just 2:10 into the third period, Kenny Agostino intercepted a pass in the neutral zone giving him a break away. He snapped a wrist shot over Neuvirth’s glove for a 2-0 Blues lead. It was Agostino’s first career NHL goal.

At 11:51 in the third period, Ryan Reaves was called for his second penalty of the night after tripping Nick Cousins. The Flyers registered two shots on net, but Hutton had the answers keeping the score 2-0 Blues.

Colton Parayko was called for a roughing penalty on Radko Gudas with 2:33 remaining in the period. The Flyers could not muster a shot on net during the power play keeping the score 2-0.

The horn sounded ending the game 2-0 in favor of the Blues. The Flyers out shot the Blues 26-16, and they won the face off margin 60%-40%.

The Flyers are left searching for answers on offense after suffering a second consecutive shutout on home ice. Look for Shayne Gostisbehere to re-enter the line up against the New York Islanders on Thursday at 7 pm. Gostisbehere has been chomping at the bit to give this team an offensive boost. Follow me on Twitter @JameyBaskow for all Flyers updates.


Mandatory Credit: Eric Hartline-USA TODAY Sports